Sunday, May 10, 2009

After the Sleepover


Wow! We had quite the time at Ubuntu. Longest time we have spent with the kids. Too long? I don't know. I don't think so. It was a chance to see how each of them lives, in a 24 hour period. Totally different than I do that is for sure. I am still coming to terms with this; people live differently, that is a fact of life. I guess when all you see is so many differences, it makes you wonder, what are the similarities? I want to recognize these, too. As this is for my "reflective" service learning class, appropriately, I am still doing some thinking about the whole weekend.
Well, for a brief recap of the weekend: we painted the front sign outside the Center--lots of bright colors and the kids hand prints, some people played monopoly with the kids, we did some coloring activities, tried to tie in some English with the coloring, pretty successful if you ask me. The teenage girls know a bit of English, but the younger girls that are still learning. They know more English than they let on, but still, there is a language barrier for us. And the English comes out at the most unexpected times, the arts and crafts is a good bridge cause I think they use that as a learning tool in school too.
We cooked a bit of meat on the braai pit outside the house and the "moms" cooked us up some traditional pap (corn meal with with water, like porridge, but if your lucky...I think, lard too...), and a green bean and tripe stew on top. We ended the night with Toy Story and a South African comedy, Mr Bones.
In the morning we all got ready for church and walked to a classroom at a school across the way, where we had our own little ceremony, the kids said that was usual for them, small, but sufficient...and we appreciated our mothers--some of us, not all the kids know their mothers--and sang and prayed, in Zulu. But we were guests of the day and treated really nicely, they made us a lunch and they had rehearsed new songs, in English, even.
To tell the truth, I was really uncomfortable and ready to head home by the time we were on our way walking to church, but I am glad I stuck it out. It meant a lot to the kids. The church is a big deal in their lives and to share it with us was really important to them. It is like when you introduce one of your good friends to another one of your good friends. Below is a picture of me with one of my biggest fans at the center, Apiwe, 8 yrs.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle - Been awhile since I have logged on to your blog - you certainly have done snd seen a lot since my last viewing! Really enjoy reading about your experiences, and the photos are great. Good luck with exams.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete