Thursday, March 19, 2009

Monkeys in the Mornings


In the morning I walk along Carbis Rd to get to the side of campus where most of my classes are held. It is a residential neighborhood, with quite a few preschools nestled between gated (thorn like tops to these gates) houses. Every now and then there will be a cluster of small monkeys running across the road, or swinging from each others' bellies, jumping up a tree or something. On Monday, it was the best because they were just sitting at the bottom of the tree trunk, scratching each other, no where to go, just chilling. I stood there for a good few minutes smiling at them...with like three campus security monitors...working hard :)
Something about the walk to campus that I failed to mention, it is a sloooow walk. Seriously, if you start walking at a normal, "American" pace, they call it, you get some strange faces. A lot of things are slow here, not just the internet. It is a whole different concept of how long a given task should take. African's call it Africa Time. True dat. If you have to go to an office, African's know that that trip to the office takes time to leisurely walk to, visit with the people outside the office, step inside--if the office is not on an extended lunch break--wait behind a dozen other people...30 minutes, whatever, then talk to the person you are expecting to see, if they are there, if they are not, no biggie, they will be back in a couple hours, or tomorrow, or the next day...just wait outside...it is just a whole different perception of time. not to mention, lectures often start late...I don't know, I am hoping to cultivate some more patience than I had before...it's a good thing.
Common questions that South African's ask us:
Do you have KFC?--So funny to share that Kentucky is actually one of our states.
Did you think that South Africa was all huts and elephants wandering the streets?--Apparently quite a few foreigners have had completely off ideas about the (actual) urbanization of South Africa, which has led South Africans to believe that Americans are rather ignorant about the development that this country actually has.

The ANC is definitely the dominant party here, they have theme songs, lots of posters, many political rallies on campus, they run through the dorms shouting with microphones...Big powerhouse. I heard Mr. Zuma speak a month or two ago when he was in in downtown PMB (coming out of court), he spoke in all Zulu, so that was not so cool, but I got the vibe that he was well supported and that his followers will easily forgive the political charges against him...Sad, but he is going to get off, and be the next leader here, it seems.

So, yesterday I got into a sweet debate with a (Muslim) Indian in my microbiology class, she was trying to tell me that Barack Obama came from a family of practicing Muslims, that he was a practicing Muslim, too. And that his father is king of Kenya!!!
Wow Baby! Go Obama! For the record, his dad (1936–1982) was a government economist in Kenya.

Thursday today, classes, a few tests next week, looking forward to chill weekend, maybe a rugby game?!
I am putting up a scenery picture from a drive just outside of town...on the way to the Ubuntu Children's Center, an organization that we volunteer with twice a week, an earlier photo is of the kids (scroll down).

1 comment:

  1. I know I just wrote you, but Michelle...this is AMAZING! I can't believe you're having this experience! I wish I could come chill with you-it all sounds so great. And the pictures...and the sunrises!! I'm so glad you gave me your blog because I will be looking forward to each new one! Keep having fun!
    ~Bri

    ReplyDelete