Monday, April 20, 2009

Durban















Friday we went to dinner at our favorite Indian food joint, Bollywood Curries (the ever popular mutton bunny chow, see above). Then walked back to campus and went to the Irish pub, The Bell, with some girls from my dorm. Later we went to the apartment of a friend, Eddie, who was throwing a grad party in celebration of his graduation ceremonies over the weekend. Graduation ceremonies are ongoing, at least so it seems, because of the logistics of processing all the degrees, it is different than back home.
Saturday I spent the morning in the computer lab with my virology group working on a paper and powerpoint presentation that we are to submit next week. Then in the afternoon I went to Durban with some friends to see my very first rugby game!! Lots of fun! While the sport (and the fair like festivities/tailgating before and after is most like football), the stands and crowds are reminiscent of baseball, like going to a Giants' game. photos of rugby game (a New Zealand team vs. Durban Sharks), and then a photo of me in front of one of the new (still building, it. Thsi picutre was taken from inside the rugby stadium, so you can see they are very close by)stadiums being built for the FIFA World Cup 2010 (there are stadiums being built in many of the big cities here, including JoBurg, Durban, and Cape Town).
That night we walked on Florida Rd. the supposedly happening place in Durban...it was not that crazy, but it was a little nicer than other parts of the city.
Sunday we walked out of our hostel and into uShaka (named after the Zulu king) water park. We spent the day between the water slides and the beach where we rented kayaks and body surfed. I think next time I go to Durban I am going to try surfing. I like waterskiing...maybe similar?! (to the left a photo of the beach in Durban, part of the "Golden Mile")
So, Monday has once again arrived and I am back to classes, writing lab reports for Animal Science, volunteering for my political science internship based class. It is going well.
Wednesday is election day, national holiday. Zuma is expected to win, even though many people are unhappy about this. Some argue he is a criminal. As one poster put up by and ANC opposing party says: "Put criminals in jail, not in government (Independent Democrats)."
I am supposed to help monitor elections on Wednesday, as an observer, make notes about how the polling station is running (not just us students, there are many people from the community that are doing this, compensated appropriately, not as community service workers), through my PoliSci class, so, we will see, it should be a pretty big day! (a little Zuma opposition, Independent Democrats party street sign to the left)

No comments:

Post a Comment